Among the many 23 electrical automobiles from automakers that publicly report particular gross sales numbers for his or her EV fashions, the Toyota RAV4 Prime PHEV was tops within the US in 2021 with 27,707 models offered. Ford’s Mustang Mach-E in its first 12 months available on the market (Ford delivered 3 Mach-E models in December 2020), was the quantity one-selling BEV amongst legacy automakers at 27,140 models in 2021.
The Tesla Mannequin Y and Mannequin 3 after all far outsold every other EV fashions within the US, nonetheless since Tesla neither breaks out deliveries by market or particular person mannequin (the corporate stories international deliveries every for the mixed Mannequin 3/Y and S/X fashions – see article on Tesla gross sales estimates for 2021) we are able to solely estimate their gross sales. Within the coming weeks, EVAdoption will launch our (for buy) This autumn and full-year 2021 US EV Gross sales Report which can embody estimated and reported gross sales for all BEVs and PHEVs with gross sales within the US in 2021 (together with Tesla). Nonetheless, our present (however prone to be revised) estimates for the Mannequin Y and Mannequin 3 are 180,000 and 145,000 deliveries respectively.
One other top-selling EV past Tesla fashions that isn’t included is the Jeep Wrangler 4xe PHEV, which noticed 2021 estimated gross sales of round 26,000. Should you embody the Tesla Mannequin Y and Mannequin 3 within the rankings, the Wrangler 4xe would probably be the quantity 5 promoting EV within the US for 2021.
Traits Among the many 2021 Prime-Promoting (Reported) EVs
Maybe on the high of the record of tendencies from our Scoreboard is how nicely the 2 PHEVs from Toyota offered. The 27,707 from the RAV4 Prime was not a shock as we imagine that the favored PHEV model of the quantity 4 promoting automobile within the US (407,739 complete) might simply promote 40,000-50,000 models of the RAV4 Prime if Toyota imported that many. What’s a shock to us was the rebound in gross sales of the Prius Prime, which was up 128% YOY. And as you possibly can see from the chart beneath, the the Prius is heading towards 60% of its gross sales being for the Prime PHEV model.
The second key pattern is the strong first-year gross sales of each the Ford Mustang Mach-E (27,140) and Volkswagen ID.4 (16,742) BEVs. For the 12 months the Mach-E outsold the ID.4 by 10,398 models. However the Mach-E — which had 3 deliveries in December 2020 — had its second greatest gross sales quarter in Q1 when the ID.4 was solely simply starting to succeed in US sellers. When solely Q2-This autumn gross sales, the Mach-E outsold the ID.4 by a mean of 1,419 models per quarter. Ford has introduced plans to extend manufacturing of the Mach-E at its Mexico plant 3X over the following two years which suggests gross sales might attain not less than 40,000 in 2022.
A 3rd key pattern is after all the drop in gross sales to just about zero (25) in This autumn for GM’s Chevrolet Bolt, which suffered from each a battery recall attributable to fires and a stopping of manufacturing. The Bolt, which is anticipated to resume manufacturing in early March, was on tempo till the recall to promote 40,000 models in 2021. Particularly if Congress removes the OEM cap which might imply not less than a $7,500 tax credit score and as a lot as $12,500, the Bolt has the potential to be the highest promoting EV within the US in 2022 aside from fashions from Tesla. Nonetheless, by probably dropping all or most of Q1 manufacturing, the Bolt would probably must common gross sales of 12,000-13,000 in Q2-This autumn plus just a few thousand in March.
A fourth pattern or discovering is that YOY gross sales elevated 155% for these 21 EVs with publicly reported numbers. Nonetheless, about half of the 98,690 enhance was from new EVs that weren’t obtainable both all or a part of 2020. In actual fact two fashions, the Mach-E and ID.4, accounted for 43,879 models of the YOY enhance.
Different constructive gross sales tendencies from 2021 embody:
- Nissan LEAF: First launched within the US in December 2010, the enduring LEAF noticed a 49% enhance in gross sales versus 2020, and 78% in This autumn versus Q3 of 2021. With the Ariya BEV anticipated in late 2022, will probably be attention-grabbing to look at how aggressive Nissan and its sellers are with incentives to maneuver the more and more much less aggressive LEAF.
- Porsche Taycan: Ranging in worth from $83,000 to $188,000, the Taycan had a YOY gross sales enhance of 127%, maybe partially because of the addition of the Cross Turismo station wagon variant.
- Audi e-tron: Maybe partially due to the launch of the Sportback model and rising competitors, the e-tron SUV had strong however unspectacular YOY progress in gross sales of 26%. Its gross sales various broadly by quarter from a excessive of three,474 to a low of 326 in Q2. It’s unclear if the down Q3 for all three Audi e-tron fashions have been attributable to provide chain points or different components.
- Audi e-tron Sportback: The e-tron Sportback had YOY gross sales enhance of 77%, however gross sales in quarters 3 and 4 have been considerably beneath that of Q1 and Q2.
- Audi e-tron GT: A competitor to the Tesla Mannequin S, the e-tron GT had a 65% enhance in This autumn over Q3, its first quarter on the market within the US. A stunning sedan, will probably be attention-grabbing to see if the e-tron GT can method gross sales of 10,000 models in 2022 – which might make it an enormous success.
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV: Whereas highly regarded in Europe, the Outlander PHEV has by no means caught on within the US but it surely did have slight YOY progress of 15%. Mitsubishi will deliver an up to date model of the Outlander PHEV to the US probably in Q3 with a rise in vary and non-obligatory Third-row seating.
- Honda Readability PHEV: Honda ended manufacturing of the Readability PHEV and FCV (gas cell automobile) in August 2021, however has acknowledged that each could be obtainable for lease from sellers in 2022.
- New Fashions: 5 new fashions Mazda MX-30, Hyundai IONIQ 5, Lexus NX 450h+, Mercedes-Benz EQS, GMC Hummer EV pickup, and Rivian R1T and R1S all started deliveries in This autumn. The Mazda MX-30 is a restricted manufacturing compliance EV and is anticipated to get replaced by a PHEV/Vary extender model. The IONIQ 5, NX 450h+, EQS, R1T, R1S, and Hummer EV solely started deliveries in November or December and so it’s too early to find out any gross sales tendencies. And whereas Audi reported gross sales of its This autumn e-tron and This autumn e-tron Sportback, the brand new BEVs received’t arrive at US dealerships till maybe Q2, although Audi has but to substantiate particular timing.
Within the coming weeks EVAdoption will launch its 2021 EV Gross sales Report on the market which incorporates gross sales figures and estimates plus dozens of charts on all 70 BEVs and PHEVs that had gross sales within the US in 2021.